Jan 17, 2014

Step 10. Copy.

For my Artist Date this week, I trekked to the east side and made a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I discovered the Safavid tile panel in a gallery I hadn't visited before. There was a bench directly in front of the piece, making an irresistible invitation to sit and sketch for awhile.

As I decided what to draw from panel, I thought the rocks in the painting looked like frogs....well, looked like brightly-colored frogs disguised as rocks getting it on. I chided myself for such a silly thought. But, as I drew, and as I looked at all the birds and bees, and overly large blossoms, and vessels scattered about a luscious garden, I realized I was sitting and starting at a very sexy piece of work. It wasn't what I expected, and being surprised makes for a perfect Artist Date. Makes for a perfect day in general when you think about it. Who wouldn't be delighted with such a sensual surprise, as long as you're patient enough to receive it.


I happened to be dressed to meet the tile panels on my Artist Date. The flowers on the tiles were similar to the flowers on the skirt I wore on my sketching excursion.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!