Jan 23, 2014

Step 12. Moving along

I'm moving along with the stitchery project. The quote I'm stitching, "What's the good word" is something my mom always said as a greeting. My mom passed away a couple of months ago, and I made this project for myself in her memory. I decided to make a duplicate to give to my sister.

Since I made the design myself and didn't purchase something ready-to-stitch, I had to get the pattern on the fabric. To do that, I first made it on regular paper and then taped it to transfer paper. My transfer paper has been in my sewing box, unused, since Home Ec classes in junior high school, but it still works just fine.
 

In the picture, the yellow is the transfer paper. It comes in different colors, but this is what I had in my kit.

I then taped the transfer paper, with my pattern on top, to the fabric. I used a ball-point pen to trace the pattern. The pressure from the pen transfers the yellow to fabric.

Yellow on white was too faint for me to see clearly, so I used a colored pencil to trace over the yellow line on the fabric. I used a pencil to match the color of the embroidery floss, and I worked only one letter at a time so I wouldn't rub the pencil lines as I stitched.


The orange letters are filled in with French knots and the blue words are in stem stitch, which is my favorite embroidery stitch. My mom was an embroiderer and I learned the stitches from her. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!