Dec 27, 2013

Step 4.

I started with a small pear late at night.

 
I only had time to draw the pear, but I left space on the page because I wanted, eventually, a still life. 

By the time I got back to this page in my notebook, a few weeks had gone by and the pear had been eaten.


I added a walnut as the next item in the still life, but it didn't work out. The two things are in an awkward relationship sitting on the page like this. They need to be either closer together or further apart to relieve the tension between them, sort of like with some people I know.

The drawing wasn't working out and I wanted to quit. But, maybe sticking around would be worth it, I told myself. If anything, I could certainly use composition practice.


I like how the Brazil nut on the left turned out, but the still life is still looking awkward.


I thought adding a hazelnut away from the group might break up the tension, but it didn't work. The lone nut looks like a lone nut, off on its own. 


It was time to walk away, but I didn't know how to end it, to break off from this group without leaving them hanging in the air. I added a little something on the page for them to sit on, and then I cracked the nuts open and ate them.

Today's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!